This is a public statement by Bob Summerwill, last updated on 31st January 2018, giving a full enumeration of his associations and financial arrangements.
This is made in the spirit of full disclosure, to avoid any possible future accusation of conflict of interests or unethical financial conduct.
Position statement – Being a friend is the best relationship of all. It trumps employment, contracting, consulting, advising. I am not interested in being an “advisor” to anybody.
TODO – Version-control this document in git, and then anchor the hash on Ethereum mainnet periodically (a la Factom).
Active Compensated Roles
- Independent Contractor, Sweetbridge Inc, Phoenix, AZ (via Kitsilano Software Inc)
- $11K USD per month (90% in USD, 10% Sweetcoin)
- 20% discount on token price though to 12/31/17 (unused)
- Performance-related annual bonus paid in Sweetcoin (will dig out details)
- Can claim expenses for costs incurred related to this role
- Unlimited vacation
- No benefits
Uncompensated, informal relationships
- I am a community leader for the Ethereum Project, a de-facto role I have filled for over two years.
- I have a broad personal and business social network, spanning the games industry, open source projects, technology, financials, blockchain and Ethereum specifically. We talk about things, both publicly and privately.
- Projects, companies and other legal entities for which I have a lot of love:
- Talking to BC Blockchain Forum, Blockchain Canada and Blockchain Association of Canada, because I would like to advise such groups at both provincial and federal levels for the good of the country which has treated me so well. I want to grow a vibrant blockchain community in Vancouver and Canada. 🇨🇦
- Talking to Blockchain @ UBC, because I want to promote blockchain education.
- 530.01 ETH(~$547K) was awarded to me by Wanxiang Blockchain Labs in February 2016 for “Ethereum for Resource Constrained Devices” as $10,000 in BlockGrantX #2 but I forgot about it, and managed to lose the private keys.
- 73.09 ETH (~$75K USD) … which was $1,000 USD of John Gerryt’s EthEmbedded devgrant, for implementing cross-compilation.
Personal memberships and affiliations
- I am a dual-citizen of the UK and Canada (since 1974 and 2010 respectively).
- I have never been a member of a political party in any country.
- I have never been a member of any church or religious institution as an adult in any country.
- I attended state schools in the UK and never attended any private (“public”) schools.
- I studied BSc Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence at the University of Leeds between 1993-1996. That study was partially state funded, partially funded by my parents and partially funded my student loans. I worked each summer as well.
- I have never participated in any professional certification programs.
- I have never been a member of any “software engineering professional” organization (IEEE, etc)
- I have been an associate member of the Free Software Foundation since 2014.
- I have been an individual supporter of the Linux Foundation since 2014 (some lapses).
- Kitsilano Software Inc, my company, joined the Tizen Association in 2014.
- I have made donations to Wikipedia.
- I have made donations to the Software Freedom Conservancy.
- I have made donations to the Software Freedom Law Centre.
- I have made various other charitable donations in my lifetime. Not enough.
Kitsilano Software Inc and doublethinkco
- Bob Summerwill is the only employee of Kitsilano Software Inc. Nobody else has ever been employed by Kitsilano Software Inc.
- Bob Summerwill and his wife Jill Summerwill are the sole shareholders for Kitsilano Software Inc, with the shares split 50/50. The shares were originally 100% in Bob’s name, but later restructured 50/50 for tax purposes.
- Bob Summerwill is the only director and the only officer for Kitsilano Software Inc and that has always been the case.
- Kitsilano Software Inc has hired contractors in the past – Damien Diederen, Dimitar Dobrev, Thomas Hauk, Mahram Foadi, Anthony Cros, but the last sub-contractor, Anthony, wrapped up his work in December 2015.
- It is possible that Kitsilano Software Inc will hire contractors in the future.
- Kitsilano Software Inc has never generated any revenue from products – only from Bob’s own contracted work.
- doublethink.co has been used as a Trade Name but has never been registered. I intended to rename my corporation but still have not got around to it. I will likely form a new corporation in 2018 and close Kitsilano Software Inc.
Prior Compensated Roles
- Religious Education Centre, University College of Wales, Bangor (part-time work while at school and University)
- Poundstretcher and Halifax (clerical work via some awful temp agency in Leeds)
- School of Computer Science, University of Leeds (work during summer)
- Sony Psygnosis (full-time permanent employee)
- Electronic Arts UK (full-time permanent employee)
- Electronic Arts Canada (full-time permanent employee)
- Roadhouse Interactive (full-time permanent employee)
- DeNA (working as contractor via Kitsilano Software Inc)
- SCEA San Diego (working as consultant for The Payroll Edge via Kitsilano Software Inc)
- TD Securities (working as contractor for Procom via Kitsilano Software Inc)
- Prizorgo (working as contractor via Kitsilano Software Inc)
- Ethereum Foundation (working as contractor for ETHDEV Berlin via Kitsilano Software Inc)
- ConsenSys AG (working as contractor via Kitsilano Software Inc)
- Advisor for Finhaven (formerly Frontier Foundry) from October 2017 to January 2018. Had potential to purchase 0.5% of Common Stock. Option not used.
There is more information on these roles in my LinkedIn profile.